1970s Vintage Tartan Wool Suit Princess Mary Stewart Ptn Sml


Brand Poppy's Vintage Clothing

This is a vintage tartan wool suit made by Tokyo Style under the “Abin” label.  The tartan is known as the Princess Mary tartan, for use by the British Royal family and based on the Royal Stewart tartan but with a green background rather than a red one.  Princess Mary was the only daughter of King George V and Queen Mary.  The jacket is made in a classic style with padded shoulders, peaked lapels, two button closure, flapped pocket at either side, tailored fit and above the full length sleeves with two buttons at either cuff.  The skirt is pleated and made in a mid calf length.  The jacket is lined in green rayon.

Label:  Abin Tokyo Style Co.,Ltd.  All that I could find out about this company was that it was founded in 1949 and appears to still be in existence.

Fabric:  95% wool - I can’t figure out the other 5% due to fading of the Japanese characters.  The lining is rayon.

Sizing: Size is unmarked - although this should fit a small size with a 24” waist, please note the following measurements for fit:

Shoulders:  15” across from shoulder seam to shoulder seam

Sleeves:  21 1/2” from the shoulder seam 

Sleeve inseam: 16”

Bust: 35” around, 17 1/2” across pit-to-pit

Bottom: 30”

Length: 24” measured at the back


Waist:  24” around

Hips:  35” around, meant to fall loosely

Length:  28”

Condition:  This vintage tartan wool suit is in very good condition with no pronounced wear, tear, soiling or staining except for the label, which has yellow soiling.

This vintage tartan wool suit features a wonderful Royal pattern with attractive styling….